Welcome back lovelies! You’re going to love today’s feature Illusions by Madeline J. Reynolds. It’s a historical m/m romance with a touch of literal magic. My 5 star review is below along with a tour wide giveaway for TWO copies of Illusions!
I received this book for free from YA Bound Tours in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.Title: Illusions
Author: Madeline J. Reynolds
Pub. Date: November 6, 2018
Publisher Entangled: Teen
Genres: Historical, M/M, Paranormal, Young Adult
Goodreads Amazon|| B&N|| iBooks|| Publisher
Thomas Pendelton was born into wealth and prestige. He has a sensitive heart and wants nothing more than to write poetry. Instead, he is apprenticing for Neville Wighton the Great, an aging magician who has become somewhat crazed over the years in his pursuit of fame. With Thomas’ help, Wighton is about to premiere the greatest illusion seen by man, for Thomas possesses something no other illusionist has: real magic. Many in the theatrical world are desperate to learn Wighton’s big secret. One such magician is Paolo il Magnifico. His apprentice, Saverio Moretti, is also seeking the answer. He has a scheme to get close to Wighton by seducing Thomas but seduction turns to real feelings. Now the young men must struggle to keep the secret of their romance, as well as the secret of Thomas’ magic, as both of these things could cost Thomas his life. Through journal entries, posters, letters, and other documents, ILLUSIONS is a story of love, betrayal, and of course, magic.
ABOUT ILLUSIONS‘S AUTHOR
Content Warning: Abuse, Homophobia, Hate Crime, Depression, Public Execution
- Told in alternating journal entries & poems by Thomas in between
- Immediately engaging and swept me away, very easy to imagine and slip into
- Could NOT stop reading. Pacing and flow is perfect.
- Did have to flip back to check out the dates as I was reading because I kept losing the time frame & dates, but that’s a personal problem
- Journal entries were AMAZING. I love what was included and what was missing, leaving some to the imagination and between the lines. Voices and styles are very distinct for each narrator.
- I love their getting to know each other and following romance. Thomas is an adorable cinnamon roll poet while Saverio is dashing, and mischievous. Saverio kinda reminds me of Flynn from Tangled, TBH. I can totally see him doing “the smolder”
- There’s no real explanation or world building in regards to the magic, it’s about their relationships and the now. I’m cool with that personally. But don’t go in expecting a ton of witchiness or spells or details.
- Did not see that twist coming. Honestly thought it was going another way.
- CRIED at the end. While in public on the bus. Embarrassing but so damn good.
Perfect for fans of Timekeeper by Tara Sim with less focus on the magical/paranormal aspects and The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice & Virtue by Mackenzie Lee, with a little bit of magic.
Two print copies – US only
a Rafflecopter giveaway
ILLUSIONS BLOG TOUR
- Movies, Shows, & Books Excerpt
- The Cover Contessa https://www.thecovercontessa.com Promo Post
- Chapters through life Review
- A New Look On Books’ Blog https://anewlookonbooks.com/blog Promo Post
- Andi’s Young Adult Books https://andisyoungadult.blogspot.com Promo Post
- K.L. Novitzke – Author Https://www.klnovitzke.wordpress.com/blog Promo Post
- Declarations of a Fangirl https://www.declarationsofafangirl.blogspot.com Promo Post
- Laura’s Interests https://dogsmomvisits.blogspot.com/ Review
- Mythical Books http://mythicalbooks.blogspot.com/ Promo Post
- Zili in the Sky http://www.ziliinthesky.com Review
- Character Madness and Musings https://jenabaxterbooks.blogspot.com/ Promo Post
- Paulette’s Papers http://paulettespapers.com/ Promo Post
- The Avid Reader http://the-avidreader.blogspot.com Promo Post
- Bri’s Book Nook http://brisbooknook.wordpress.com Review
- Treestand Book Reviews https://treestandbookreviews.wordpress.com Review
- SERIESous Book Reviews http://seriesousbookreviews.com Review
- BeachBoundBooks https://www.beachboundbooks.com/blogging-about-books Promo Post
- The Layaway Dragon https://thelayawaydragon.com/ Review
- Utopia State of Mind http://Utopia-state-of-mind.com Review
- Writing With Wolves www.writingwithwolves.co.uk Review
- Beauty and the Armageddon http://www.beautyandthearmageddon.blogspot.com/ Promo Post
- I’m All About Books https://imallaboutbooks.com Promo Post
- YA/NA Book Divas http://www.yabookdivas.com Promo Post
- Dani Reviews Things http://danireviewsthings.com Review
- The Laughing Listener https://laughinglistener.com/ Review
- Moonlight Rendezvous http://www.moonlightrendezvous.com Review
- Zooloo’s Book Diary www.zooloosbookdiary.co.uk Review
- ABookologicalShelf http://abookologicalshelf.wordpress.com Review
- Willow’s Thoughts And Book Obsessions https://wssthoughtsandbookobsessions.blogspot.com/ Review
- Finding Magic In Books http://findingmagicinbooks.tumblr.com Review